Herbed Chicken Breast with Pearl Barley, Spicy Greens, and Pecans
3/4 cup pearl barley
1 3/4 cups water
1/2 tsp. PeachDish Salt, divided, plus more to taste
8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 oz. pecan pieces
4 tsp. olive oil, divided
2 sprigs parsley
2 sprigs oregano
2 oz. spicy salad greens
1. In a small saucepan, combine barley, 1 3/4 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon PeachDish salt.
Bring to a simmer over high heat, cover pot, and reduce heat to low.
Cook until barley is tender and all liquid has been absorbed, 15-20 minutes.
2. Pick and chop parsley and oregano leaves. Peel and mince shallot. Zest and juice lemon.
Cut or tear greens into bite-size pieces.
3. Season chicken on all sides with 1/4 teaspoon PeachDish salt. Set aside at room temperature.
4. Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add pecans, and cook, tossing and stirring frequently, until they become toasted and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
Remove pecans from pan and set aside.
5. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to the skillet. When oil is shimmering, add chicken. Cook without disturbing until browned on the bottom, 3-4 minutes.
Flip and cook until the chicken is opaque all the through and browned on the second side, 2-3 minutes more.
6. Transfer chicken to a bowl. Sprinkle chicken with parsley and oregano; turn and toss to combine well.
Cover bowl with a plate, and allow chicken to rest at least 5 minutes.
7. In a mixing bowl, combine shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons olive oil.
8. Add barley to mixing bowl. Toss to coat.
Gently stir in greens and pecans. Taste, and adjust seasoning with PeachDish salt.
9. Thinly slice chicken against the grain. Add any collecting resting juices and herbs from chicken to barley.
Divide barley mixture between 2 plates. Top with chicken. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Enjoy!
Don't forget to check out peachdish.com for more great recipes like this, delivered right to your door!